Lubiąż is a village, the most important building of which is the monumental Cistercian abbey, in which the Eco-museum currently operates. Throughout its history, the town was associated with the monastery and to this day remains in the shadow of this extraordinary baroque building.
In 1163, Duke Bolesław the High brought the Cistercian order to this area and granted them extensive lands. It was the first Cistercian monastery in Silesia and it quickly grew into a significant religious center. The abbey also owned numerous villages and lands in the area and earned its living mainly from agriculture. The village of Lubiąż, which for some time was a town, developed about 2 km from the seat of the monastery, serving as a servant.
Over the centuries, the Cistercian abbey developed as one of the main monastic centers in Silesia. In its present, baroque shape, it was rebuilt at the turn of the 17th and 18th centuries. Soon after, in 1810, the order was secularized and dissolved, and the buildings were designated for secular purposes. The period after World War II brought it a lot of damage, but after 1990, it was gradually rebuilt and restored to its splendor.
Operating in the monastery, Ekomuzem is the biggest attraction of Lubiąż. Visiting routes have been marked out, in some of the rooms you can see exhibitions devoted to the history of the abbey and the history of local industry. It is available for sightseeing, among others chapel, refectory, prince's hall and library.