Tours is a historic city associated with the cult of St. Martin. A large part of the medieval Old Town with the Gothic Cathedral of Tours has been preserved here.
The origins of the city date back to Celtic and Roman times. Relatively early, already in the 3rd century, Christianity reached these areas along with the mission of St. Gatien. In the ninth century, the local bishop was St. Marcin. His cult began to spread at the beginning of the 5th century and soon the city became a destination for pilgrimages and an important stop on the pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela.
The most important monument in Tours is the Gothic cathedral of Saint-Gatien. Its history dates back to the 6th century, and the constantly expanded shape was not completed until 1000 years later. The interior is decorated with beautiful 13th century stained glass windows. There are also tombstones of children of King Charles VIII and Anna Bretońska.
The Old Town stretches around the Cathedral. There is a lot of medieval half-timbered buildings here. Its largest concentration is around Plumereau Square. Among the medieval monuments you can also mention the Charles Towers, the castle from the 11th century and the ruins of the abbey of St. Martin.
From the 17th century, Tours experienced another period of development. Many public buildings were erected at that time, such as the baroque town hall, and the city squares were enlarged. At the beginning of the 20th century, the center of the cult of St. Martin, the newly built neo-Byzantine basilica of St. Martin.
The city can also offer tourists many walking places. The most beautiful are the Loire Boulevards and the Botanical Garden. The market hall with food stalls and many bars serving snacks and quick lunches is a place eagerly visited by both locals and visitors.