The tiny village of Le Mont-Saint-Michel is one of the most visited places in France. All this is due to the unusual, UNESCO-listed Mont-Saint-Michel Abbey located on the island lying about 2 km from the coast.
The town itself is basically only a base for tourists who visit the abbey. The history of this place dates back to antiquity, when there was a Celtic graveyard on the island, followed by a Roman place of worship. The first Christian temple was erected here in the 8th century, and a Benedictine abbey was founded in the 10th century. The monastery where the Jerusalem Monastic Communities are currently based is also the sanctuary of Saint. Michael.
The island is connected to the mainland by a causeway about 1800 m long. The Bay of Mont-Saint-Michel stretches around, which has the highest daily tidal amplitudes in Europe. During low tide, the monastery can be reached with a dry foot along the bottom, while at high tide it remains the only link with the mainland.
The Mont-Saint-Michel Abbey is one of the greatest religious monuments in northern France. It occupies practically the entire island, and at its highest point stands the abbey church, which is a mixture of Romanesque and Gothic styles. Below the church and monastery buildings is La Grande Rue street, which is connected to the top of the hill by the Grand Stairs. Today, there are shops, hotels and restaurants on the street.