Czechia    Prague    Strahov Monastery
number 114 in the city

Strahov Monastery

Local name: Strahovský klášter

The Straße monastery in Strahov represents the baroque style of the second half of the 17th century, while being one of the oldest Romanesque buildings in Europe. In the area of ​​the monastery there is the church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, church of St. Mary. Rocha, the historic library, the art gallery and the Bellavista restaurant.

Monastery in Strahov was founded in 1140 on Benedictine rule, founded by Prince Ladislaus II. In the same year it was changed to the monastery of premonstratens. In 1627 there was a solemn transfer of the relics of St. Norbert of Magdeburg. Strahov was then the headquarters of the monastery of premonstratens.

The monastery complex of the nuns at Strahov in Prague was rebuilt several times. In the years 1603 - 1612 the church was built. Rocha designed by architect G. Filippi. The temple was founded by Rudolf II, thanks to the forgiveness of God for the plague. Formerly a parish church, it is now an exhibition hall.

Strahov Monastery map
Strahovské nádvoří 1/132118 00 Prague , Czechia