Add the first photo and get an additional 2 points
Plac Powstańców Warszawy is an important historical place in Warsaw. The square was built in 1823-1826. Today's name was given to him in September 1957. The square, formerly known as Napoleon Square, was a battlefield during the Warsaw Uprising in August 1944. The memorial plate dedicated to the insurgents from the "Kilinski" battalion was unveiled in 1979.
The 16-story building of the Prudential Insurance Company, built in the years 1931–1933, played a key role in the fighting in the Square during the Warsaw Uprising. It was the first "skyscraper" in Poland. From its windows, the Insurgents fired at the Main Post Office building occupied by the Germans. Prudential remained in the hands of the insurgents until the end of the Warsaw Uprising.
Before the war, Napoleon Square was one of the most beautiful squares in Warsaw. As a result of war damage, with the exception of the Prudential building, the square was not rebuilt in pre-war form. A significant renovation of the Square was carried out in 2014 in connection with the 70th anniversary of the Warsaw Uprising.