Add the first photo and get an additional 2 points
The Basilica of Our Lady of the Angels and Martyrs was built on the ruins of the ancient Diocletian Baths according to the design of Michelangelo. He decided to limit the number of changes to the necessary minimum using the ruins as the facade of the building. Gates of gilded bronze made by a Pole - Igor Mitoraj lead to the interior of the temple. The figures of an angel and Mary are embedded in them. It is also worth paying attention to the floor decorated with an eighteenth-century sundial. It is a symbol of the victory of the Christian calendar over pagan.
The construction of the church began in 1563. An interesting legend is associated with its creation. Apparently a priest saw the figure of an angel among the ruins of the old baths. Pope Pius IV, founder of the church, took it as a sign from God and commissioned construction. The basilica was dedicated to the martyrs, because according to ancient applications, the baths were to be built by enslaved Christians.