Add the first photo and get an additional 2 points
Church of St. Paul
Local name: Paulskirche
The church Pawel is a former Lutheran temple. The author of the design of this neoclassical rotunda was architect Johann Friedrich Christian Hess. Built over 40 years at the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries, it is an excellent example of classical architecture in Germany. The church has the status of a national symbol. Currently, exhibitions and public events are organized in the building.
In the years 1848-1849 the church held the deliberations of the delegates of the National Assembly in Frankfurt, the first German parliament elected in free elections. Until 1944, the temple served as the main Protestant church in the city. The building burned down completely during the bombing during World War II. After the war, the church was rebuilt and solemnly opened again on the 100th anniversary of the National Assembly.
At the end of the 20th century, the building underwent renovation. A gigantic 'Train of People's Representations' mural by Berlin painter Johannes Grützke was unveiled in the basement. A permanent exhibition showing the history and development of German unity and democracy was also opened.