Add the first photo and get an additional 2 points
Gendarmenmarkt Berlin is the Gendarmerie Square, also called the Gendarmerie Market, which is considered one of the most beautiful squares in Berlin. His most important objects are the German Cathedral (now a museum of the history of democracy), the French Cathedral and the classicist Konzerthaus (former royal theater) brought between them. The square was founded in 1688 on the orders of the Brandenburg elector Frederick III.
In front of the Konzerthaus building stands a monument to one of the most famous German poets, Friedrich Schiller (1759-1805). The monument unveiled in 1871 was removed in 1936 by the Nazis, who entered Schiller's works on the list of "degenerate art". The monument was reconstructed in 1988.
Originally, the square was known as the Esplanade (Promenade). The current name, Gendarmenmarkt, began to be used in connection with the stationing in the years 1736–1782 of a regiment of Cuirassiers (heavy cavalry) who had their posts here and stables. After many subsequent changes in 1991, the name Gendarmenmarkt was restored.