Add the first photo and get an additional 2 points
The Jewish cemetery in Brno is the largest such cemetery in Moravia. It was built in the mid-nineteenth century and has about 9,000 matzevot, as well as a Neo-Roman funeral home.
The Jewish community in Brno was very strong during the medieval period. In the 15th century, Jews were banished from Brno. They returned in the 18th century, and in 1852 they bought an area in the Židenice district, where a cemetery was founded. The number of the local commune in the interwar period is estimated at around 12,000 people.
The cemetery is shaded by trees. The tombstones form a huge labyrinth, among which you can find both simple matzevot and richly decorated graves with sculptures from the turn of the century. Many of the distinguished for Brno are buried at the cemetery, including the first director of the local zoo, Otto Eisler, or industrialist Emil Tugendhat, whose son was the owner of a villa on the UNESCO list.