Add the first photo and get an additional 2 points
The historic church of St. John the Baptist in Arbore belongs to the group of eight Moldovan painted churches located in Bukovina, inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List. It was built on a rectangular plan in 1503. It is small - only 22 meters long, 9 meters wide and 8.5 meters high.
The outer walls of the temple were entirely covered with paintings, however, only frescoes on the west and partially on the south elevation have survived to this day. The oldest ones come from 1541 and their author was the Moldavian artist Dragoş Coman. The number of miniatures depicting dozens of scenes from the lives of saints and biblical scenes, including the creation of the world, attracts attention.
There are also numerous paintings inside the church, with a significant part of the original frescoes destroyed in the 17th and 18th centuries. In addition, there are tombstones of Luca Arbore, the founder and his family.