Romania    Alba    Alba Iulia    Alba Carolina Citadel

Alba Carolina Citadel

Local name: Cetatea Alba Carolina

The fortress was built at the beginning of the 18th century. It is one of the largest and best preserved buildings of this type in Europe. Within its walls there are, among others Prince's Palace from the 14th-15th century, Apora Palace from the 17th century and the Batthyaneum library from 1794, in which rare manuscripts from the 7th and 15th centuries are kept.

While visiting, it is worth visiting two cathedrals - the Orthodox from the twentieth century and the Roman Catholic built in the thirteenth century. An interesting fact is that in the Royal Chapel there are tombstones of Izabella, daughter of Sigismund the Old, and her son Jan Sigmund Zapolya, prince of Transylvania.

The fortress was built during the Habsburg rule. It was aimed at strengthening the local power of the dynasty. It was also a strategic defensive point against the invasions of the Ottoman Empire. During its construction, elements of two older fortifications were used - the Roman fort Apulum and the medieval citadel Balgrad.

Less

Reviews

Alba Carolina Citadel map
Alba Iulia, Romania