Italy    Lombardy    Milan    Church of San Gottardo in Corte
number 77 in the city
MILANItaly

Church of San Gottardo in Corte

Local name: Chiesa di San Gottardo in Corte

The octagonal bell tower with the first public clock (which is not a sundial) is part of the church of San Gottardo in Corte in Milan. The church was built as the Ducal Chapel by Azzone Visconti in the years 1330-1336, according to a commemorative inscription on the wall. It was originally dedicated to the Virgin Mary, but Prince Azzone, who was chronically ill with gout, changed his dedication to San Gottardo di Hildesheim - the patron of those suffering from this disease.

The author of the temple design was Francesco Pecorari from Cremona. The interior was restored in the neoclassical era by Giocondo Albertolli. In the church you can see the tomb of Azzone Visconti and a medieval picture of Saint Charles Borromeo by Giovan Battista Crespi.

Less

Attractions inside

    Church of San Gottardo in Corte map
    Church of San Gottardo in Corte
    Church of San Gottardo in Corte
    SEE ON THE MAP
    Via Francesco Pecorari 220122 Milan , Italy