Pécs, located in the south of the country, is the most exotic of Hungarian cities. His appearance is the result of the eternal mixing of East and West influences in this area and the long-standing Turkish occupation.
The area of Pécs was already inhabited in Roman times, and in the third and fourth centuries Christianity arrived here. The most important monument of the city comes from this time - UNESCO-listed early Christian catacombs. After the fall of the Empire, Ostrogoths and Huns occupied these areas for a long time.
The first mention of Pécs under its current name comes from the 13th century, and in 1367 Ludwik Węgierski founded the first university here in Hungary. In 1526, after the battle of Mohacz, the entire region came under Turkish rule. Over the past 150 years, several mosques, Turkish baths and caravanserai were built in the city, most of which have survived to this day.
The most important monuments of Pécs include, apart from the catacombs, the Romanesque cathedral of St. Peter and Paul, the gothic hospital chapel of St. John of Nepomuk and the baroque column of the Holy Trinity built as a votive offering for protecting the city from plague. You can also visit the historic Zsolnay porcelain factory, where a route connected with viewing the product creation process is available.