Add the first photo and get an additional 2 points
The Neue Kirche Dom, or German Cathedral, was built in 1708 according to the design of Martin Grünberg, a representative of the Dutch Baroque. The preserved shape, including the impressive tower, is due to the reconstruction in the Neo-Baroque style in 1780-1785. Currently, it houses a museum dedicated to the history of democracy in Germany.
The museum presents in detail the circumstances of the birth of democracy in Germany and its main heroes, from the nineteenth century to the present day. The permanent exhibition, equipped with multilingual audioguides, occupies the first three floors - temporary exhibitions are presented on the top two floors.
The cathedral was completely destroyed by fire in 1943. After the end of World War II, it remained a ruin - the decision to rebuild was made only after the unification of Germany. The cathedral was opened to visitors in 1996.