Belgium    Flemish Region    Ghent    Our Lady St. Peter's Church
#42  Ghent
#432  Belgium

Our Lady St. Peter's Church

Local name: Onze-Lieve-Vrouw Sint-Pieterskerk

The church was built in the first half 17th century The first part of the name is a souvenir of the church destroyed during the French rule in 1799.
The church Peter was erected on the site of a Romanesque temple, which probably existed here since the founding of the abbey of St. Peter in the VII century, and was destroyed during the iconoclasm around 1580.

The design of today's impressive size and form of the church is attributed to the Jesuit architect Pieter Huyssens (1577-1637) - the creator of the churches of St. Charles Borromeo in Antwerp and Saint. Walburgi in Bruges. The architect, fascinated by the architecture of Italian temples, was inspired by the church of St. Peter's in Rome.

During the French rule in the church of St. Peter's museum of painting was created. To this day, there are many works from the 17th and 18th centuries in the church. Other noteworthy interior furnishings include, above all, numerous sculptural decorations.

Less

Reviews

Our Lady St. Peter's Church map
Sint-Pietersplein 9000 Ghent, Belgium