Add the first photo and get an additional 2 points
Sint-Baafskathedraal, or the Cathedral of St. Bawona (589-654) is a temple that dates back to the 10th century. It was here that Charles V, the Roman emperor, was baptized in the years 1519–1556. The cathedral is famous for the Ghent Altar (1432), by the brothers Hubert and Jan van Eycków. There is also a painting by Peter Paul Rubens depicting the arrival of St. Bawo to the monastery in Ghent.
In the place of today's cathedral, there was originally a wooden chapel of St. John the Baptist. In half. In the 12th century, it was replaced by a Romanesque church, after which fragments of walls decorated with frescoes have survived to this day. The construction of the present Gothic cathedral began at the beginning of the 14th century. In the years 1462–1538 an impressive tower, over 80 m high, was built. The cathedral received its current form in 1569.
The interior of the cathedral was seriously damaged in the second half. Sixteenth century as a result of the iconoclast revolt, during which the supporters of the Reformation destroyed churches. The current furnishings are mostly baroque.