Add the first photo and get an additional 2 points
Alter Markt, meaning the Old Market Square, has served as a marketplace since the Middle Ages. Currently, it is surrounded by medieval tenement houses, and in the center of the square there is a large fountain topped with a sculpture of St. Florian of Lorch by Josef Anton Pfaffinger - that's why she is known as the fountain of St. Florian.
The market existed already in the 13th century and probably from that time there was also a fountain on it. However, it was rebuilt in the second half of the 17th century, and the figure of St. Floriana was not added until 1734. White marble was used to build the fountain. The wrought metal grille that covers it was made by Wolf Guppenberger. In addition, the coat of arms of Salzburg can be seen at the foot of the column.
Around the market there are tenements whose history is as long as the history of the market itself. Their facades have been rebuilt several times and represent different styles. An interesting fact is the very narrow building, only 1.42 meters wide, built in the mid-nineteenth century.