Add the first photo and get an additional 2 points
The chapel is part of the Gate of Dawn, built in the Gothic style at the beginning of the 16th century as an element of the city walls. The Classicist chapel was added in 1829. It houses the miraculous painting of Our Lady of the Gate of Dawn, Queen of the Polish Crown. The picture was painted on oak boards. It is 200 m high and 165 m wide.
Initially, there was only a niche in the place of the chapel. In the second half of the 17th century, a wooden chapel was added to it, but it burned down in 1711. Then, a brick chapel was erected, and at the end of the 18th century, a classicist gallery was added.
Originally, on the gate there was an inscription: "Mother of Mercy, we run to your protection". In 1864 it was changed to a Latin sentence for fear of repercussions from the Russian authorities. It was restored in 1933, but was again replaced with the Latin version after the Second World War.