Add the first photo and get an additional 2 points
The Old Town Bridge Tower in Prague is a gothic building standing at the entrance to the Charles Bridge, located on the route of the Royal Route. The height of the tower is 47 m above the bridge and 57 m above the Vltava River. 138 stairs lead upstairs, there is a permanent exhibition on the first and second floors and a gallery on the roof.
The Old Town Bridge Tower was erected along with the Charles Bridge by Petr Parler. It was built of sandstone blocks above the first pillar of the Charles Bridge. The tower was built not only as a fortification, but also as a kind of triumphal arch of Emperor Charles IV. The construction of the tower was completed in the second half of the fourteenth century.
The author of all the sculptures and stone decorations is the bridge builder Peter Parler. The Old Town Bridge Tower suffered significant damage at the end of the Thirty Years' War, during the siege of Prague. Once again the tower was damaged during the revolution in 1848. In 1972, 6 gothic sculptures were restored.