Add the first photo and get an additional 2 points
The Harcov dam was established in the first years of the 20th century. It belongs to the Nysa Łużycka river basin flood protection system, which also includes five other structures in the Jizera Mountains. The dam is 157 meters long and arched. Above it is an artificial reservoir used for recreational purposes.
In the 19th century, the Nysa basin was destroyed several times by floods. The most tragic of them took place in 1897. Therefore, it was soon decided to build several dams and retention reservoirs in mountainous areas. Five out of six planned were created. One of them on the Harcov stream. At the time of construction, the dam and reservoir were outside the city, but now, due to its development, they are almost in the center.
Today, the dam and artificial reservoir serve primarily for recreational purposes. On the shore there is a beach with facilities, three water equipment rentals and a walking promenade.