Belgium    Flemish Region    Antwerp    Saint George's Church Antwerp
#40  Antwerp
#372  Belgium

Saint George's Church Antwerp

Local name: Sint-Joriskerk Antwerpen

Sint-Joriskerk, or the church of St. Jerzy, is a neo-Gothic building erected in 1853 according to the design of the architect Léon Suys. The church catches the eye with two soaring, openwork towers. On the facade you can see statues of St. George and the 12 apostles. A reliquary from 1878 is kept in Sint-Joriskerk, containing the remains of nearly 40 saints.

Sint-Joriskerk was created thanks to the efforts of pastor Jan Cauwenbergh, who bought the former church land in 1846 with the intention of building a new church on the ruins of a temple destroyed during the French Revolution. Of the first church, altar furnishings and several epitaphs have survived, including works of Frans and Francken.

In the interior, it is worth paying attention to the series of moralizing wall paintings, which are works of, among others Gotfried Guffens (1823-1901) and Jan Swerts (1820-1879).

Less

Attractions inside

    Saint George's Church Antwerp map
    Mechelseplein 242000 Antwerp , Belgium