Add the first photo and get an additional 2 points
The Benedictine Abbey in Melek now forms a whole complex of buildings. The first fortification was built here in the Middle Ages in 1089. A thorough expansion took place in the eighteenth century and then the whole was maintained in the Baroque style. Currently, it is the largest Baroque religious building in Europe, also considered the most beautiful in all of Austria.
The most important buildings of the entire complex are the Church of St. Peter and St. Paweł, the Library, in which we will find over 100,000 books and 1,200 manuscripts from the Middle Ages, as well as the Museum of Art and Monastery History.
The abbey was also an inspiration for Umberto Eco, an Italian writer, to write one of his most popular books - "The Name of the Rose". The main hero of the novel, Adso, also came from Melek.
For years, the owners and managers of the entire complex have been monks from the Benedictine Order.