Poland    Lower Silesia    Świdnica    Church of Peace
#499  Poland

Church of Peace

Local name: Kościół Pokoju

The temple full of luxury is the largest wooden baroque church in the world. In 2001, it was entered on the UNESCO World Heritage List.

The temple was erected in a half-timbered system and is covered with a flat, wooden ceiling, decorated with seventeenth-century murals. Inside, there are two empor storeys, enriched with murals of biblical verses. Particularly noteworthy is the late-baroque two-story altar, the baroque pulpit, baptismal font, and powerful organs with a baroque front providing an amazing sound. Organ concerts and many cultural and educational events take place here.

The Świdnica church was one of the three “Churches of Peace”, built in the middle of the 17th century under the Peace of Westphalia ending the Thirty Years War in 1618-1648, the construction of which was permitted by Emperor Ferdinand III. Two others were erected in Jawor and Głogów, although the latter was burnt down in the 18th century.

The temple happily survived two world wars and, like centuries ago, has a Protestant character. The Church of Peace in Świdnica is one of the most valuable sacred monuments in Europe and is one of the greatest attractions of Lower Silesia.

Less

Reviews