Add the first photo and get an additional 2 points
The church is one of the oldest and most magnificent temples of Gabdawa. Its construction began in the 13th century on the site of an earlier Romanesque church. It was brought in the style of local Gothic, for which the use of blue-gray stone is characteristic. The most valuable element of the church's furnishings are the organs made by the famous French builder Aristide Cavaillé-Colla. They are considered one of the most important romantic instruments in Belgium.
The current shape was given to the church during renovation from 1890-1900. Over the centuries, the church has been neglected, the construction threatened to collapse. In order to strengthen it, some windows were bricked up, and residential houses and shops were built at the facades. Even demolition of the temple was considered.
The church Nicholas was eagerly visited by merchants and craftsmen. Guilds paid for the construction of numerous chapels, which were added to the side walls of the church during the 14th and 15th centuries.