Add the first photo and get an additional 2 points
Geeraard de Duivelsteen, literally Geeraard the Devil, is the name of the castle today, whose owner Geeraard Vilain (1210-1270) was called the Devil. Built in the 13th century, the stronghold was used to defend Portus Ganda - a commercial settlement around which today's Ghent was founded. The Gothic building underwent numerous transformations over the centuries and changed its functions many times. From the nineteenth century, when Geeraard de Duivelsteen became government property, it located the national archive of Belgium.
After the childless death of Geeraard the Devil, his castle was the property of the city of Ghent from the 14th century. He served as an arsenal, it housed a monastery, school and episcopal seminary. In 1623, a home for the mentally ill and a shelter for male orphans were created here. Some strongholds were converted into detention and a prison. In 1830 a fire station was created in Geeraard de Duivelsteen.
The former stronghold of Geeraard the Devil appears in three comic albums of the popular series "Adventures of Nero & Co", by the Flemish cartoonist Marc Sleen.