Add the first photo and get an additional 2 points
Monastery of saint Martin's church is located on the banks of the Cávado River, about 5 kilometers from the city center of Braga. The monastery known for its rich Rococo style decorations was erected in the 11th century during the fights of Christians with the Moors. Currently, there is a small historical museum inside the church.
Immediately after its construction, the Monastery of St. Marcin's became one of the richest religious buildings in this part of the country. In 1567, the temple was chosen the seat of the Order of Saint Benedict. In the first half of the 17th century, the monks began a radical reconstruction, thanks to which the church gained its present shape.
In 1757-1760, the main altar, side altars and pulpit were built in the church, which became characteristic elements of Portuguese Rococo art. The author of the works was André Soares, a leading Portuguese sculptor of the 17th century. In the monastery you can also admire the gilded woodwork by José de Santo António Vilaça and the statues of the famous sculptor named Cipriano da Cruz.