Add the first photo and get an additional 2 points
The still-functioning lighthouse is an octagonal tower with a range of 18 nautical miles. The history of the building dates back to 1537, when it was built in this place by hermit brothers. Farol da Guia remains an important tourist attraction and a must see in Cascais.
The location of Cabo da Guia, at the mouth of the Tagus River, meant that this place was always important for shipping. For these reasons, a lighthouse was erected here, which was to guide the ships. The first lighthouse suffered as a result of the Lisbon earthquake in 1755. The reconstruction of the facility had to include major reconstruction and equipment replacement.
To illuminate the waterfront, the Marquis de Pombal commissioned the construction of six lighthouses and the renovation of Farol da Guia. The reconstruction was completed in 1761. In 1957, the lighthouse was modernized and electrified, so it no longer requires direct service.