Add the first photo and get an additional 2 points
Local name: KZ-Gedenkstätte Mauthausen
Mauthausen Memorial is a place of remembrance for the victims of the concentration camp located there in 1938-1945. The museum part is located in the building of the former camp hospital. It presents two permanent exhibitions - "Mauthausen Concentration Camp 1938-1945" and "Mauthausen Crime Scene - In Search of Traces".
The first prisoners arrived in Mauthausen in August 1938. It is believed that this location was chosen because of the close proximity of granite quarries.
On the site of the former camp, many original buildings have been preserved, which after 1945 were adapted by the Soviet army as barracks. The land was returned to the Austrian government in 1947, provided that a memorial to the fallen was created there.
Recently, the "Chamber of names" has been available to visitors, in which over 81,000 have been made available. Names of people murdered in Mauthausen and its sub-camps.