Add the first photo and get an additional 2 points
Fort Dunree is located on the Inishowen Peninsula in County Donegal, near Buncrana. It is a former coastal war fort, which now houses a museum presenting military and an exhibition about the Donegal coast, its vegetation, fauna and development.
The fort was built during the Napoleonic Wars. It was owned by the British Navy. After the establishment of the Irish State in 1922, under a peace agreement with Great Britain, it remained under the management of the British army until 1938. After World War II, the Irish army was stationed here.
Currently, the fort is open to tourists. It is an irregularly shaped structure surrounded by thick walls. On the walls and in the former defense posts, guns from the First and Second World War were placed. In the building located in the central part of the fort, there is an exhibition showing the history of this place, as well as the nature of the Donegal coast.