Add the first photo and get an additional 2 points
The Old Church of Helsinki is the oldest existing church in the city center and the first Lutheran church built in the capital. It was built in the neoclassical style in the years 1825-1826 according to the design of the German architect Carl Ludwig Engel. It can accommodate approximately 1,200 people.
The temple was built of wood, because according to the original plans it was to serve only as a temporary building, but due to the rapid increase in the number of inhabitants, it contributed to its permanent preservation.
For the first 30 years, a gilded wooden cross was visible behind the main altar, but in 1854 it was replaced with a painting by Robert Wilhelm Ekman. Initially, the painting was supposed to be in the Helsinki Cathedral, but was eventually placed in the church.