Add the first photo and get an additional 2 points
Alden Biesen is a former property of the Teutonic Order. Its construction began in the 16th century and was carried out for the next 200 years. Alden Biesen Castle was built on the site of a Teutonic stronghold existing since the early Middle Ages. In 1971, the castle was severely damaged by fire. It is now restored and within it houses the Flemish Culture Museum and a modern international conference center.
The permanent exhibition is devoted to the 600-year history of the Teutonic Order. The castle and the surrounding lands remained the property of the Teutonic Knights from the 12th to the beginning of the 19th century, when the Belgian branch of the order was dissolved and deprived of property by Napoleon's decision.
In addition to the castle, the Alden Biesen complex includes a 17th-century church, an administrator's house and an English-style park created in 1786-1787. Currently, there are many exotic plants, monumental tree specimens and numerous objects of small park architecture, including the temple of Minerva.