Milicz is a historic city, where you can admire one of the six so-called "churches of grace" erected at the beginning of the 18th century. The city is also famous for the Milicz Ponds, where carp are caught on the list of regional products.
The beginnings of the town date back to the 10th century, when there was a fortified city here. With time, it became the center of princely and ecclesiastical power, which led to disputes between the castellans appointed by bishops and princes. Eventually, the city that was being formed became part of the Duchy of Wrocław belonging to the bishops. The ruins of the castellan's castle have survived on the hill.
From 1590, the owners of Milicz were the Maltzan family. During her reign, the city began to develop rapidly. Crafts and trade with merchants traveling along the route towards Wrocław dominated here. At the end of the 18th century, the Maltzan Palace was built in Milicz, which today is one of the most important attractions of the city. It is a classicist building surrounded by a park with, among others, azaleas, rhododendrons and cypress trees. The building currently houses the Forest Technical School and the Regional Chamber of the Barycz Valley.
An important monument of Milicz is the Church of St. Andrzej Bobola. It is now a Roman Catholic church, but was built as a Lutheran church in the early 18th century. It is one of the six so-called "churches of grace" built after the Altranstadt settlement. It ordered the Habsburgs to return over 120 taken churches to the Protestants and allowed for the construction of new churches, which were built in Żagań, Kożuchów, Jelenia Góra, Kamienna Góra, Cieszyn and Milicz.