ПДобавьте первое фото и получите дополнительные 2 балла span>
Plaça de George Orwell is a small square in Barcelona's Barri Gotic district. It was named after the English writer and columnist George Orwell, an active participant in the Spanish Civil War on the republican side. In the center of the square is an 8-meter replica of a surreal sculpture by Leandre Cristòfola.
The original sculpture is stored at the National Art Museum of Catalonia (MNAC). Its copy is made of reinforced concrete, steel and wood. It appeared in the square in 1991.
During the first 6 years of its existence, the square had no official name. Barcelona City Council gave it to him only in 1996. Until then, the term Plaza del Tripi was used.
George Orwell lived in Barcelona from 1936 to 1937. He presented his memories from that period in the well-known work entitled: "In tribute to Catalonia" from 1938.